Friday, October 5, 2018

Is it Possible to Get Carpal Tunnel From Swiping Left Too Much?



Well folks, I have decided to rejoin the online dating world.  Those who know me are well aware that I've said “NEVER AGAIN”.  As the old saying goes; never say never.  I took an extended dating hiatus and now feel ready to put myself out there.  So here I am jumping into the ocean of fish…or should I say guppies?  Would it be wrong of me to attach a link to my blogs for some of these guys to read with a note that says “Hey, thanks for reaching out.  I think you should read some of these blogs on the attached link for helpful tips for the future.”?  Too much?  Yeah, you’re probably right.

Before swiping left or right became a thing, people actually took the time to read the profile and then make contact.  Our society has become so visually driven that the mentality is: see a pretty picture - make contact.  Who cares that you have absolutely nothing in common based on the things you say you are looking for.  Shame on me for actually reading the profiles before replying or messaging anyone.  I’m not looking to waste someone’s time. 

Grounds for swiping left include but are not limited to:
·         Deal breakers – we all have them.  Kids/no kids, smoking/no smoking, religion, politics
·         No profile pictures – it’s only fair…post a picture.  Everyone has at least one.
·         Scary profile pictures – if you look like a serial killer in your picture – I may swipe left
·         Obvious FAKE profile pictures / profiles
·         Inappropriate profile pictures
·         Geography
·         Profile description empty
·         Profile description does not match
·         Profile description is negative

Swiping left can make you feel like there’s something wrong with you for not being interested in so many people however it’s important to remember that the swipe feature on most apps does not pull from the people that match what you are looking for but rather pulls from app’s database.  There is nothing wrong with being selective.  You should be.  You have a lot to offer a relationship and you should not lower your standards or settle for someone less than just to potentially get into a relationship.  You're not single because you're broken.  You're single because you're looking to meet the right person for you.

I believe many of us are genuinely looking for love.  Please don’t let the heart emojis cloud your judgment.  There are a lot of catfish out there.  There are a lot of people who are not who they seem.  People can be anyone they want to be when hiding behind a computer screen.  Be open.  Give people a chance.  Just don’t be so blinded by your desire for love that your brain takes a back seat.  When your brain and your heart work together…magical things can happen.

The About Me section is your way to make a great first impression or go down in flames.  Don’t waste it by being negative about the app or the people on it.  Anyone who has been on a dating site before knows how tough it can be to meet quality people.  Use this opportunity to show them why you're different.  Not everyone you email is going to be interested.  Don’t get discouraged.  Say something more than "Hi" if you want a real response.  Maybe reference something that caught your attention in their profile and ask them a question about it.  

I recently have a guy message me late at night.  Strike 1.  The ding on my phone woke me up.  I looked at the message and then looked at his profile.  His "about me" section was so negative; I just moved on.  Strike 2.  The next morning, he sent me a message that was accusing me of not responding because he doesn’t look like George Clooney and other passive aggressive nonsense.  Strike 3.  I politely told him that I don’t think he’s a very nice person and we should just leave at that.  Then I used this amazing invention called BLOCK.  Just like that - he's out. 

There are lots of characters out there.  Since they don’t know you, they will initially treat you as they know how to.  It’s important to set boundaries.  This is how they will get to know you and adjust how they treat you based on what you allow.  Think about this.  Do you think guys would continue to send inappropriate pictures and messages if every woman was offended?  I don’t.  There’s probably been at least 1 or 2 women that has liked or engaged in that type communication with them so that’s what has become the lead in approach for some of these guys.  It’s become their barometer to gauge how far they can push things with you.  For me – they get a swift swipe left.  Keep it classy guys.

What do you think?  Is it possible to get carpal tunnel from swiping left too much?
Happy Fishing!

1 comment:

  1. Great as always! I truly enjoy reading your blogs as I continue learning about this 21st century dating scene. Believe me, it helps me help my family and friends as they navigate the waters and it keeps me in touch with the real world and how ever changing it is. Hang in there! I will always believe that life is a great journey! You get out of it what you put into it as you proceed cautiously! I am cheering you all on. I believe that the best is yet to come! Happy fishing and swiping!

    ReplyDelete